Hi everyone, it’s Niké and Jasmine! Today we had a
jam-packed and exhausting but fun day. We started off learning about
butterflies after breakfast with Alberto. After that we hiked some trails to
the zip lines. There were a total of 8 and everyone decided to participate. The
view of Lake Atitlan and the volcanoes on one side and the waterfall on the
other were breathtaking and truly unforgettable. After the zip lining, we
enjoyed a beautiful breezy and little splashy boat ride across Lake Atitlan. We
finally got to see the top of the volcano and the clouds enveloping them (yay!)
We were then picked up by our awesome bus driver Hector and got to enjoy a
delicious lunch at El Rancho with him on the way to Los Andes. During the bus
ride to Los Andes we passed the time by playing games and listening to Visily
and Lina argued about deep topics.
After a long and bumpy drive and seeing the rubber trees
that Chelsea pointed out, we finally arrived at Olga’s house to be greeted by
the sunset and her playful dogs. We settled down in our rooms and met five of
the local ninth graders, who we’ll be working with this week. They are
currently on vacation and go back to school in February. To break the ice, we
played a name game where we said our name and did a movement and everyone else
repeated it. Thanks to Mayhah, Lina, and Nathan, who translated Spanish for us,
we were able to understand people throughout the day.
Next, we had a traditional Guatemalan dinner of broth, an
assortment of boiled vegetables, rice, tortillas, and chicken. There was also
salad and a spicy sauce which a couple brave souls tried. For dessert we tried
warm pears in sweet juice. After dinner we had a long reflection during which
we answered questions about our past experiences and got to know each other on
a deeper level.
(Niké) One high of my day was definitely zip lining. It’s
something I’ve always wanted to try and enjoyed it a lot. The boat ride was also
very relaxing and allowed me to reflect on what we have done so far and what we
would be doing. Another high was arriving in Los Andes and being greeted by the
dogs! When we went to eat lunch, we had access to wifi, but none of us got on
it. This was very refreshing to see because usually we all would be glued to
our phones checking social media. It was nice to just be present in the moment
and enjoy our surroundings and the people we were with. A low of my day was
when we got off the boat and the local people rushed to sell us goods. It was a
bit sad seeing the dad pushing his products with his little son because this is
how he makes his living. I’ve seen many kids selling products throughout this
trip and it makes me sad because I feel that kids should be kids and not have
to work or worry about making money. Another low was that since I’m somewhat
allergic to dogs, my eyes started to itch and get irritated after a while (but
nothing Benadryl can’t fix!). For our time in Los Andes, I’m really looking
forward to meeting and connecting with the local people. I’m ready to learn and
I want this experience to be as eye-opening, memorable and life changing as the
Alternative Break trip I went on last spring.
(Jasmine) Today was one of the busiest and most exciting
days of our trip thus far. My high of the day was zip lining throughout the
trees and being able to capture the spectacular scenery, breathe the fresh
mountain air and feel the wind blowing against my body. We even got the chance
to see some spider monkeys showing off. Even though we had 8 zip lines, the
view never got old and I thoroughly enjoyed the adrenaline rush. The low of the
day was during the boat ride across Lake Atitlan, when I noticed a small boy at
the back of the boat playing with an old tire and looking sad and bored; that’s
when I wondered how many times he brought tourists across the lake every day
when he should be in school. A bud that I’m looking forward is making
meaningful, deeper connections with local students and realizing our universal
similarities despite our geographical and cultural differences. I want to be able
to remember and talk about my relationship with the community in Los Andes when
I return to reality, cold weather, and the states. I’ve had an amazing time so
far in this beautiful country and can’t wait to experience the rest of our trip
and learn more from Los Andes locals. (P.S. Hi Mom and Dad! All is well and I’m
safe and loving Guatemala!!! J)
No comments:
Post a Comment