Friday, January 16, 2015

Day 3 Reflection

Bryce and Ryan here! We are currently at the Lake Atitlan Nature Reserve where we will be channeling our inner outdoorsman this evening and camping! We woke up and enjoyed breakfast at Donde Monica before heading on our journey to the Panajachel market.  It was about a two hour bus ride from Antigua and the views along the way were breathtaking.  We entertained ourselves with guessing games about celebrities and other famous figures to pass the time so the ride did not seem too bad
.(This is Ryan) Once we got to Panajachel, we split up into groups and explored the market.  This market contained much more authentic and handmade items than the market in Antigua.  Touring through the markets is a great experience for all of us because it really immerses us in the culture.  In the markets, we have been putting our Spanish conversation skills to the test (Mine is not too sharp), we learn how to bargain with the vendors, and sample the local food and drink. Both Bryce and I were very successful in bargaining.  I brought the price down of one item over 350 quetzales!! We finished up at the market around 3:30 and then made our way to the Lake Atitlan Nature Reserve.
               
                (Bryce) I also had some luck with bartering and managed to barter down a traditional blanket by almost 50%. After the market we went to the Lake Atitlan Nature Reserve where we are currently camping. There are beautiful trails that are connected to the camp site. One of them leads to a magnificent waterfall. Along the way we also came across several spider monkeys and an ant eater. The spider monkeys were very entertaining and spent most of their time hanging upside down from trees eating bananas. On the way back there was also a gorgeous view of Lake Atitlan, the namesake of the reserve. After we returned to the campsite we had dinner with the director of the reserve, Alberto, and got to learn all about the reserve community and ecosystem. He was also a great source of information about Guatemala in general. Just try and picture the Dos Equis, Most Interesting Man in the World, because that’s him.

(Ryan again!) Just wanted to say Hi Mom and Dad!! I am alive don’t you worry and I’m taking plenty of pictures. Love and miss you and I’ll talk to you soon.
(Bryce Again) Also wanted to say hi to the family. All is well. My Spanish is improving rapidly and is much more useful than I would have thought. I’ll see you in a week and have much more to say then.

No comments:

Post a Comment